- Before you go fishing, make sure you check your safety gear as well as your fishing gear.
- Check your local weather and if in doubt, don’t go out.
- If you haven’t already, get yourself sorted with a Coastguard Membership – it’s great peace of mind knowing they have got your back with free assists – they’re your best mates out on the water.
- Logging a Trip Report with Coastguard is easy via their Best Boaties Mate App and a great way to tell someone where you are going and when you plan to be back.
- Before you hit the water, hit the website coastguard.nz for more information, tips and advice.
Consider taking a Coastguard Boating Education course to learn the necessary skills to boat safely and know how to handle emergencies should something unexpected happen.
The FishCare Safety Principle has been developed in conjunction with the COASTGUARD. New Zealand’s leading boating safety organization.
- Learn how to iki different species of fish
- NZ Sport Fishing Council fisheries management submissions
- Fisheries management FAQ’s about issues that affect fishers
- Official fishing rules in your area for species, bag limits, size limits, seasons etc
- Release weights to maximise fish survival rates from barotrauma
- Information on fish processing and cleaning
- Smart fishing around seabirds
- Safe boating education with the Coast Guard
- Safety and boating regulations
- Free Fish Heads – Connect fishers who want to share their fresh fish heads and frames with people eager to receive them