Use suitable tackle and line weight to ensure fish can be landed, the quicker the better. Fish that are then released have a better chance of survival.
Please move location if you are catching mostly small fish or switch to using lures such as soft plastics or slow jigs as these are less likely to hook small fish.
The size and condition of fish change during the year. Learn how to target other species as the seasons and availability change.
- Learn how to iki different species of fish
- NZ Sport Fishing Council fisheries management submissions
- Fisheries management FAQ’s about issues that affect fishers
- Official fishing rules in your area for species, bag limits, size limits, seasons etc
- Release weights to maximise fish survival rates from barotrauma
- Information on fish processing and cleaning
- Smart fishing around seabirds
- Safe boating education with the Coast Guard
- Safety and boating regulations
- Free Fish Heads – Connect fishers who want to share their fresh fish heads and frames with people eager to receive them