Always check the weather before you go fishing and have a plan if it gets rough.
1.Before you go fishing, check your fishing and safety gear.
2.Tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
3.Consider taking a course to ensure are boating safely within the limitations of the conditions and your experience.
4.The Coastguard provide excellent courses and resources to help boaties stay safe on the water.
- Learn how to iki different species of fish
- NZ Sport Fishing Council fisheries management submissions
- Fisheries management FAQ’s about issues that affect fishers
- Official fishing rules in your area for species, bag limits, size limits, seasons etc
- Release weights to maximise fish survival rates from barotrauma
- Information on fish processing and cleaning
- Smart fishing around seabirds
- Safe boating education with the Coast Guard
- Safety and boating regulations
- Free Fish Heads - Connect fishers who want to share their fresh fish heads and frames with people eager to receive them